Charles Ennis Residence (1923), Los Angeles, California


The Ennis Residence is the last and largest of the four Los Angeles textile-block houses. It dominates its ridge on the southern reaches of the Santa Monica Mountains and commands a panoramic view of Griffith Park on its north side and the Los Angeles metropolitan area on its south side. The house and chauffeur’s quarters cover about 6,200 square feet and were constructed of more than 27,000 concrete blocks, all of which were made by hand using decomposed granite extracted from the site. Construction began in March 1924 with Lloyd Wright as contractor and landscape designer. When Lloyd Wright resigned after several disputes, the Ennises took over the work and the house was completed in 1926.

The house suffered greatly over the years from deferred maintenance, deterioration of the concrete blocks, earthquakes, and torrential rainfall. In 2005, the Los Angeles Conservancy, the National Trust for Historic Preservation, and the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy created the Ennis House Foundation and completed the initial phase of stabilization and restoration several years later. In 2011, the Ennis House was sold to a private owner who is committed to its complete rehabilitation.

 
Location: 2655 Glendower Avene, Los Angels, CA 90027
Private residence. The owner must provide some form of public access to the house a minimum of 12 days per year, according to the terms of a conservation easement held by the Los Angeles Conservancy. Tours are available through the Los Angeles Chapter of the AIA.


Sources:
William Allin Storrer, The Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright (1995), #217.
Thomas A. Heinz, Frank Lloyd Wright Field Guide (2005), p. 55.
Ennis House, http://ennishouse.com/.