Ravine Bluffs Development (1915), Glencoe, Illinois
Sherman R. Booth, Wright’s attorney, commissioned a complete plan for a housing development just west of a ravine in Glencoe, Illinois. The original scheme would have transformed this part of Glencoe with its Wright-designed railroad stations and town hall; but only the planning was fully realized. Six homes, including his own, were built in the Ravine Bluffs Development during 1915 and 1916. Booth was the client of all of the Wright designs in the development.
Wright also designed several sculptures in poured concrete. These were probably executed by Alfonzo Ianelli, collaborator with Wright on several projects during this period. A bridge designed by Wright provides access to the northeastern entrance of development. A Wright-designed railroad shelter was constructed around 1911 that survived until the 1950’s.
Location: Meadow & Sylvan Roads, Glencoe, IL 60022
William Allin Storrer, The Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright (1995), #185.
Thomas A. Heinz, Frank Lloyd Wright Field Guide (2005), p. 252.