Andrew T. Porter Residence “Tan-y-deri” (1907), Spring Green, Wisconsin
Tan-y-deri –“under the oaks” in Welsh — is a basic four-square design with shingle siding and was built for Andrew T. Porter. Porter was married to Wright’s sister and had previously bought the Heurtley House in Oak Park. He moved to the valley in 1907 and commissioned this house, becoming an administrator of the Taliesin Hillside Estate during its early years. This house preceded Taliesin and was built on four acres of farmland owned by John Lloyd Jones, Wright’s uncle.
Location: On Taliesin estate, Spring Green, Wisconsin 53588
Close-up view of the house is part of the Taliesin estate tour.
William Allin Storrer, The Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright (1995), #134.
Thomas A. Heinz, Frank Lloyd Wright Field Guide (2005), p. 152.