Frederick C. Robie Residence (1908), Chicago, Illinois
Construction of the Frederick C. Robie House began in 1908 and was completed the following year. The house was built on a narrow corner lot in Chicago and is considered Wright’s best expression of the Prairie style masonry structure. Built at a cost of sixty thousand dollars, the house was commissioned by a successful young inventor who asked Wright to incorporate the newest technology in his design for a contemporary house that had everything in it, from furnishings to modern utilities. Robie House is a national landmark and has been designated by the American Institute of Architects as one of seventeen buildings designed by Wright to be retained as an example of his architectural contribution to American culture. Called “the house of the century” by House and Home magazine in 1958, Robie House is now owned by the University of Chicago.
Location: 5757 S. Woodlawn Ave., Chicago, IL 60637
Owned by and located on the campus of the University of Chicago.
Operated by the Frank LLoyd Wright Home and Studio Foundation. Guided Tours of Interior. Admission Fee
William Allin Storrer, The Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright (1995), #127.
Thomas A. Heinz, Frank Lloyd Wright Field Guide (2005), p. 353-353.
Robin Langley Sommer, “Frederick C. Robie House,” Frank Lloyd Wright: A Gatefold Portfolio (1997), no page number.