A. D. German Warehouse (1915), Richland Center, Wisconsin
The Albert D. German Warehouse was constructed in 1915 in Richland Center, Wisconsin, birthplace of Frank Lloyd Wright. An imposing cube of brick and cast-in-place concrete, the design is evocative of ancient Mexican architecture. Two-thirds of the main floor space is open for storage, obstructed only by widely-spaced columns. Finely patterned block faces the top story, which was reserved for cold storage. The structure was never fully completed, and, since the collapse of the original owner’s company during the Great Depression, has had a variety of uses.
Location: 300 South Church St., Richland Center, WI 53581
Tours are available June-October.
William Allin Storrer, The Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright (1995), #183.
Thomas A. Heinz, Frank Lloyd Wright Field Guide (2005), p. 143.