Midway Barns (1938), Spring Green, Wisconsin
Under Wright’s guidance, every Taliesin fellow began his apprenticeship by working in and with the earth, with the goal of making the Fellowship self-sustaining in food production. Fields farmed by the apprentices provided much of the fresh food for the Taliesin community, but could not be operated on a scale large enough to achieve this goal. The Midway Barns were constructed in 1938 and were named for their location which was midway between Taliesin and Hillside. Dairy and machine sheds were added in 1947.
Location: Taliesin, Route 23, Spring Green, WI 53588
William Allin Storrer, The Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright (1995), #246.
Thomas A. Heinz, Frank Lloyd Wright Field Guide (2005), p. 151.