Industrial Arts Building (1942), Florida Southern College, Lakeland, Florida
Designed in 1942 and completed in 1952 at a cost of $522,000, the building was originally titled the Industrial Arts Building but is now known as the Lucius Pond Ordway Building. It was orginally intended to be a cafeteria and dining hall but was never used for this purpose. The building housed the industrial arts center and later the fine arts with a theater-in-the-round and a student lounge. The upper tier consists of a series of 30-60-90 triangles lying on their hypotenuse, and the structure features natural lighting, interior gardens and fountains.
Location: 111 Lake Hollingsworth Drive, Lakeland, FL 33801
Self guided walking tour maps can be purchased inside the Tourism & Education Center from 9:30 AM – 4:30 PM. Guided tours are available.
William Allin Storrer, The Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright (1995), #251-258.
Thomas A. Heinz, Frank Lloyd Wright Field Guide (2005), p. 471.
Randall M. MacDonald, Nora E. Galbraith, & James G. Rogers, Jr., The Buildings of Frank Lloyd Wright at Florida Southern College, (2007), pp. 83-98.