Danforth Chapel (1954), Florida Southern College, Lakeland, Florida
Designed in 1954 and completed in 1955 at a cost of $50,000, the Danforth Chapel is the only work on the Florida Southern College campus to utilize leaded glass. The structure is oriented on its site in such a way that the glass windows behind the altar are lit by the setting sun. The Danforth Chapel still contains the original pews and cushions designed by Wright and constructed by industrial arts students and home economic classes. Largely unchanged since its construction, Danforth Chapel is the most pristine of Wright’s buildings on the Florida Southern campus.
Location: 111 Lake Hollingsworth Drive, Lakeland, FL 33801
Self guided walking tour maps can be purchased inside the Tourism & Education Center from 9:30 AM – 4:30 PM. Guided tours are available.
William Allin Storrer, The Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright (1995), #251-258.
Randall M. MacDonald, Nora E. Galbraith, & James G. Rogers, Jr., The Buildings of Frank Lloyd Wright at Florida Southern College, (2007), pp. 99-108.